Free English Course Online 16
- Vocabulary related to
- present continuous / present progressive
- spelling changes of the present participle or -ing form
1/ Vocabulary Practice
- to be ready
- to communicate
- Are you understanding?
- so far
- If you are not understanding
- please return
- to previous lessons
- to repeat
- When you are learning
- it is important
- a solid base
- out loud
- to read out loud
- to be shy
- do not be shy
- to copy
- copy the way
- listen to the way
- to try
- to imitate
- to try the same
- other characters
- to have a good level
- English grammar
- their english speaking
- this is because
- to change
- they do not change
- their accent
- to put comments
- on this page
- to improve
- i can improve
- to hope
- you are enjoying
2/ Grammar Practice
Revision of the present continuous and spelling changes made to the verb when creating the -ing form.
We use the present continuous for:
- things happening now: I’m eating.
- temporary situations: I am feeling better
- future plans: I am going to London next month.
The present participle or -ing form is formed:
1/ Verb + -ing
to play > playing
to go > going
to eat > eating
to do > doing
to say > saying
2/ Verb + double the last consonant + ing
to get > get + t + ing > getting
to sit > sit + t + ing > sitting
to swim > swim + m + ing > swimming
to skip > skip + p + ing > skipping
to travel > travel + l + ing > travelling
to regret > regret + t + ing > regretting
3/ Verb + removing the -e + adding -ing
take > taking
make > making
shake > shaking
4/ Verb + removing the -ie + adding -ing
die > dying
lie > lying
The present continuous is formed
Subject + am/are/is + present participle or ing form
I am learning
you are learning
he is working
they are working
3/ Sentence Practice
- We are now ready to communicate. Are you understanding everything so far?
- If you are not understanding please return to previous lessons and repeat.
- When you are learning a language it is important to have a solid base.
- Please read out loud and do not be shy. Copy the way I speak.
- Listen to the way I speak. You really try to imitate.You try the same with other characters.
- Many people have a good level of English grammar but natives do not understand their English speaking.
- This is because they do not change their accent.
- Please put comments on this page.
- So I can improve the lessons.
- I hope you are enjoying the lessons.
4/ Practice Quiz
Complete the quizzes below.
- Today’s words:
- Today’s grammar and sentences: