Free English Course Online 13
- Vocabulary related to
- revision of the present simple (positive, negative, and question forms)
1/ Vocabulary Practice
- i want to learn
- Do you want…?
- the infinitive has “to”
- the verb
- he wants to run
- she learns
- how to speak
- English food
- What food…?
- Why do you want?
- i want to eat
- i am hungry
- to be hungry
- in english
- we put an s
- after a verb
- after nouns
- in the plural
- a dog the dogs
- a park the parks
- a cousin the cousins
2/ Grammar Practice
Present Simple revision
Revision of the positive form:
a/ Please note that the third person singular (he, she, it) has a different ending to all the others. We add -s
b/ Verb + -es
I finish > he finishes, she finishes, it finishes
I go > he goes, she goes, it goes
I do > he does, she does, it does
c/ Verb ending in a consonant + y, we remove the -y and add +ies:
I fly > he flies, she flies, it flies
I study > he studies, she studies
d/ Certain verbs are also conjugated totally differently, for instance: “to do”, “to be”, “to have” and “can”:
Question and negative forms in the present simple / simple present.
We have to use the auxiliary “do” to form the negative and interrogative forms.
I love travelling.
I don’t like taking the bus. / I do not like taking the bus.
Do you like taking the tube? / Do you not like taking the tube? / Don’t you like taking the tube?
Let’s start by conjugating the verb “to do”
Please note that the third person singular (he, she, it) has a different ending to all the others.
Negative form: long and short forms
I do not > I don’t
You do not > you don’t
He does not > he doesn’t
She does not > she doesn’t
It does not > it doesn’t
We do not > we don’t
You do not > you don’t
They do not > they don’t
Positive question form – Long negative question form – Short negative question form
Do I…? – Do I not…? – Don’t I…?
Do you…? – Do you not…? – Don’t you…?
Does he…? – Does he not…? – Doesn’t he…?
Does she…? – Does she not…? – Doesn’t she…?
Does it…? – Does it not…? – Doesn’t he…?
Do we…? – Do we not…? – Don’t we…?
Do you…? – Do you not…? – Don’t you not…?
Do they…? – Do they not…? – Don’t they not…?
We use “do” or “does” to make a question int he simple present tense, except for questions with the verb “to be” and modal verbs like “can”.
“Do” + S + V + O + ?
Do + I/you/we/they + verb + object + ?
Do you speak English?
“Does” + S + V + O + ?
Does + he/she/it + verb + object + ?
Does he speak English?
I speak English.
I don’t speak Portuguese.
Do you speak Spanish?
Don’t you speak Italian?
Do you not speak French?
3/ Sentence Practice
- I want to learn English- Do you want to learn English? – In English the infinitive has “to” before the verb.
- I want to run- I want to eat- he wants to run- she learns how to speak English.
- Do I want to run in the park? Yes, you want to run in the park.
- Where do you want to eat? Do you want to eat English food? What food do you want?
- Why do you want to eat? I want to eat because I am hungry.
- To run; I run; you run; she runs; he runs; it runs; we run; you run; they run.
- To eat; I eat; you eat; he eats; she eats; it eats; we eat; you eat; they eat.
- In English, we put an s after a verb with He, She and It
- We put an s after nouns in the plural.
- A dog, The Dogs, a park the parks, a cousin, the cousins
4/ Practice Quiz
Complete the quizzes below.
- Today’s words:
- Today’s grammar and sentences: